Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Specialty Finish

Since I was in an airport for two hours on Tuesday I decided to write about the airport for my non-place. What I observed was while in the waiting area (at the gate) people were reading a book or magazine. Some people were doing homework, which makes me consider them students. People were talking to one another, have it be with people they know and are traveling with, people who they just met and are getting to know (making small talk) or people talking on the phone. Some who were talking on the phone were actually holding the phone to their ear, while others had the ear piece in where you couldn’t tell if they were talking to themselves or talking on the phone. There were also people working on their computers, either sitting by an outlet or using the battery life of the computer.

The people that were not sitting at the gate were constantly walking, sometimes they would stop to grab their phone or make sure they didn’t drop anything. Everyone looked rushed, in a hurry. Some people were running while others were speed walking and still others were meandering. The meandering people were normally with small children. There were also people boarding planes and getting off planes on their way, in a hurry, to baggage claim. Also, some were buying food or magazines or books or just browsing. The airport was interesting because in the reading it said that most of the time there is always a place in a non-place. I don’t know if I necessarily found the place in my non-place but I did realize that although everyone is going in their own direction and doing their own thing everyone has a destination. Everyone is similar in the fact that we are all going somewhere; no matter how we arrive to our destination we all have a destination.

5 comments:

Liz P. said...

I think that the airport, or parts of it, can act as a place for people who work there. They go there everyday and they establish relationships with their coworkers so they have an identity there.

keith said...

it's kind of funny how at a lot of non-places, everyone there just wants to get out as soon as possible...which i suppose is why they stay non-places in most instances

Bobby said...

I think it's interesting that in a place that is meant for travel, so much more goes on there. With food, conversation, and shopping, the airport seems to be some sort of mini country or community.

Andy said...

it seems that so many people were hurrying to get to somewhere. it's weird to think that many people need to rush everywhere as to not waste time, including me. i wish that time did not exist so we could do what we needed to do whenever we wanted to do it and no one would be rushed.

Anonymous said...

The airport place with in the non place are the consession stands. I remember when I was traveling over winter break the employees were hanging out in the dining area I chose. And they even had a friend just stop by to visit. I thought that was a bit unusual. But there are also regulars... People who travel alot for business probably have their favorite stands/shops that they like to stop at.